9/29/14

Biking with Blue

It's been nearly three years since my brother decided to give me a Tasmanian devil for Christmas.  I kid.  But I do not kid.


Meet Blue.  The energizer bunny of dogs.  She can run circles around you.  And she will run circles around you.

And the couch.  And the neighborhood.  And so on and so forth.

As a little girl in my neighborhood stated the other day, pointing her finger at Blue who was doing what I can only describe as the "meerkat" at her - that one is active.  Yes, sweetie.  That's a very polite way of putting it.

I'd like to preface this with one statement - I do not run.  Which everybody says is good, right? Running puts stress on your joints and you should definitely walk.  Walking is the key.

I also hate walking.

I know, I know.  I'm a bum.  Sue me.

Judging me as you are, I also know that animals need exercise.  And Blue especially needs her exercise.  Because that kind of energy just turns into eating-your-shoes-and-other-possessions if it's not curbed.

I love riding my bike, so I thought - perfect! I'll take her with me.  Yeah.  That happened one time. I set out with her leash wrapped around one of my handlebars.  Blue saw a squirrel.  Blue attempted to chase said squirrel.  My handlebars went with her and off the bike I fell.

Well there went that genius idea.

Then I came across this contraption via the amazingness (yes, that's a word) that is Amazon:

This one is the Petego Cycleash, but there are other versions.
Skeptical? As was I.  But reviewer after reviewer kept saying that it was awesome.  I had my doubts about whether it could contain my particular brand of beast, but it was $40 so I thought it was worth a shot.

This device has CHANGED MY LIFE.


The bike bar connects directly under the seat and is adjustable.  The actual bar that extends out can be disconnected for when I want to ride without my dog.  The positioning is perfect - Blue can't go in front of or behind my wheels.  And the best part? Pull all she wants, Blue can't tip me over.  And that's not for lack of trying.


Note: you don't actually have to keep the leash on your dog while using this device.  I'm paranoid and just in case something were to snap off or break free - I have a back up containment unit.

Dogs get exercise/are too worn out to eat my things? Check.

I get my exercise so I can still fit into my things? Check.

When said squirrel has crossed our path again (I'm convinced that it is always the same squirrel - at this point he's taunting us), no matter how hard Blue attempts to leave me for squirrel domination, it just slows me down a bit.  The bike doesn't veer, and it most definitely doesn't fall over.

It has been a wonderful tool for exercising my dog - now dogs, though Lexi isn't really quite sure about the bicycle yet.  She's giving it her best shot, though.



My dogs only weigh 40 and 50 pounds, but my mom was so impressed with this contraption that she bought one and uses it with her Husky mix.  And the sled dog hasn't pulled her over yet.


I could never keep up with Blue when she runs - even if I had the inclination to do so.  Now I don't have to.  It's a win-win for everybody.

Jordan

P.S. GO BIG BLUE!




No comments:

Post a Comment