10/26/14

Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins




Not that I had a whole lot of say in the matter, but I love that I was born in October.  Fall is my favorite season, and getting to celebrate my birth with a pumpkin themed extravaganza every year is a special treat in and of itself.

If you live anywhere within driving distance of southern Indiana, I highly recommend that you visit Huber's Orchard, Winery & Vineyards.  Yes, there's probably an orchard somewhere much closer.  Trust me - this place is well worth the drive.

As you can see, my friends were super excited to be there!

It is located in Starlight, Indiana, and my family has been going there for years.  They have tons of produce that you can pick yourself or (for the less adventurous types) they also have a market where you can just buy it by the bag (you party poopers, you).  The market is stocked with freshly made breads, pies, soup mixes, every jam and preserve imaginable, candy and an assortment of fruits and veggies.

Also - they bake fresh apple cider and pumpkin donuts.  The smell alone when you walk up is enough to make you gain ten pounds.

In a good way - if that makes sense.

There's also an ice cream shop, grill where you can get burgers and corn on the cob, and a winery.  Many an afternoon has been spent sitting outside next to a cart full of pumpkins, sharing a pitcher of sangria and listening to live music as the leaves fall around you.

Yes, we each got our own pitcher.  Judge all you want.
It really is a magical place.

Now that I'm done sharing my top secret orchard tips with you - pumpkins.  Like many Americans, as soon as the weather dips below 70 degrees, I become obsessed with all things pumpkin.  Candles, cookies, soups, etc.

My favorite? These pumpkin cheesecake muffins.  A sweet pumpkin muffin topped with brown sugar and pecans, with a cheesecake surprise in the center.  Any time I can somehow work cheesecake into my breakfast, I'm a happy camper.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins

PREP TIME: 30 minutes
BAKE TIME: 15 minutes
MAKES: 2 dozen muffins

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 can (15 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1 1/2 cups canola oil
  • Filling
    • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • Topping
    • 2/3 cup chopped pecans
    • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar

WHIP IT UP
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin and oil.  Stir into wet mixture just until moistened.
  4. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups one-third full.
  5. For filling, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and flour until smooth.  Drop by tablespoonfuls into the center of each muffin.
  6. Top with remaining batter.
  7. For topping, combine pecans and brown sugar; sprinkle over batter.
  8. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
  9. After removing from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the muffins from the pan to a wire rack.
  10. Refrigerate leftovers.


I've actually started making these as a Thanksgiving breakfast treat.  We usually try to skip lunch in preparation for the turkey festivities in the evening, so starting off with a pumpkin cheesecake muffin in the morning will hold you over until dinner.  And there's just something wonderful about the smell of baking pumpkin wafting through my house as I watch the parade.

Enjoy!

Jordan


No comments:

Post a Comment