10/18/14

Three Cheap & Easy Art Projects

When I first moved out on my own, I was broke.  I mean dead broke.  As in put-my-last-five-dollars-in-my-gas-tank-and-pray broke.

So needless to say - when the time came to decorate my first apartment (and really my first house), I did not have the funds to purchase endless supplies of art to cover the walls.  The only good thing about being this poor in your early years - you become resourceful.

I found that I didn't have to spend a fortune to make things pretty.  Here are several art projects that I completed in my home for under $50.



Working with Scraps

I love scrapbooking.  But I have neither the time nor the patience to actually complete most of my scrapbook projects.  But I loooooove scrapbook paper.  An endless supply of colors and patterns for less than a quarter a page? My budget could definitely handle that.

I purchased a scrapbook paper book that contained 180 sheets of paper in a variety of patterns for $12.  You could just buy individual sheets to fit your specific needs, but I like to change things up occasionally - and I've used the paper for other projects as well.

Next, I found these record album covers on sale at Michaels for $5 each (you can now buy a 3-pack for $10).

So for around $31, I created this in my office:


















I swap the scrapbook pages out depending on my mood/the season.  These actually started out in my living room over the couch, but were re-purposed into office décor when I moved into my house.

So not only is this project budget-friendly, it also appeals to those who have a hard time making up their minds. *points finger directly at self*

The Internet is Your Friend

Last Christmas, my best friend got me this really cool print from Etsy that says "My Dog Thinks I'm Cool."  I have no doubt that both of my mutts see me for the dork that I am - but I used the gift as inspiration for a gallery wall in my foyer.





You'll note that the dog print isn't actually on the wall anymore.  I recently listed my home for sale, and didn't want my entryway screaming MULTIPLE DOGS LIVE HERE to any potential buyers.  So I needed to swap out the puppy pictures for something a little more neutral.  This is where the internet becomes your best friend - there are tons of free images available for you to use.

*Note - this does not mean go onto the internet and steal other people's art.  Make sure that anything you are printing is free for your use.

I found this free wall art collage from Smitten on Paper that fit my needs perfectly.  I downloaded the images and messed with the sizing in PowerPoint. I printed the images on cardstock that I purchased for a little more durability.

The picture ledge ($15) and square mirror ($1) are from IKEA.  The red frames ($3) were actually clearance finds from Kohls and the white frames ($4) are Room Essentials from Target.  The largest print and frame were a gift, and the red tea light holders are another re-purposed element. Total project price: $36.50.

Now my entryway is a little more neutral, and I can swap out the images any time that I feel like changing my mind (if you're sensing a pattern here, you're not wrong).

Use Stuff You Already Have

Whenever I get stuck on a decorating project, I usually start looking through my stash.  Everybody has one of these, right?  A box or bin full of stuff that you used to use but put away for a while or those items that you found on clearance but didn't really have any use for at the time.  Surely it can't just be me.

A lot of times it's just me, sitting in a room sifting through old magazines that I just plain can't throw away.  I interned and also worked for a magazine for a few years, and let me tell you something - blood, sweat and tears go into that copy of Martha Stewart Living that you just tossed in the trash.  So my hoarding senses kick in when it comes time to throw away something that I will never read again.  Meaning I have stacks upon stacks of old reading material buried in closets and under all of my beds.

Normally - I would just admit that I have a problem and be done with it.  But squirreling those magazines away actually came in really handy when it came time to decorate my office.

During my second trip to IKEA (and all of its wonder), I came across this example of organizational genius:



I bought two of the magazine racks for $10/each and one of the magnet boards for $13.  The magnets were $13 from The Container Store (you could obviously get these for much cheaper - but I wanted some that were going to be pretty much invisible on my board).  All of the magazines and clippings were free, and I swap them out as inspiration hits me.




Total project cost: $46.


Just because you can't afford to spend tons of cash decorating your home doesn't mean that it can't be stylish and functional.  I've found some of my favorite pieces scouring clearance racks.  It doesn't need to be expensive to have a place in your house.  You just need to love it enough to make it part of your home.

Jordan


No comments:

Post a Comment